Pages

Wednesday 17 September 2014

A silk sarong for Sydney: V1310

May I present .... a sarong...
(post edited to add some daylight photos of the V1310 skirt & Pattern Review post)
worn backwards in this shot, as worn to a wedding




Well, ok, it's a Chado ralph rucci Vogue Pattern - V1310 currently out of print, but still in stock at my local pattern store during the latest (rare) $5 pattern sale.



slightly skewiff from the back with fishtail
It's been made up by a few talented ladies - I particularly like Corecouture's who likened it to a toilet roll - stay with me! ;) It's the spiral seam down the skirt that is best described as similar in form to a toilet roll core. Fortunately that one seam is sewn on the straight grain, so the only real concerns come with pattern matching.
Red is CF & ties, green is CB

The skirt takes 2.34m for my 5'6" + heels height (excluding lining)



















I couldn't imagine it in the thicker crepe that the pattern envelope shows, however, I adore it in a thin, slippery, silk. This silk was nabbed from Kinki Gerlinki after I saw it on Helen's Instagram feed - and when I went back to buy more, it was nowhere to be found, so I was very glad I had 2m.
That one centre seam, sewn a few times... and learning about bias and dropping
Vogue 1310 requests 4m of silk as it is self lined.
My 2m of 115cm silk required a touch of piecing and it isn't lined, I'd possibly increase the size of the facings to create a partially lined version down to my hips, however I chose not to add another fabric and have the tiniest of scraps left.
My muslin unfolded & used as my pattern piece, note how my silk is short
As alluded to, this is a skirt that hangs beautifully on the bias, an effect achieved by using only one seam, spiralling around the body. Threads magazine kindly highlighted this skirt for use with border prints, which did a lovely job in reassuring me that my fabric/pattern pairing was perfect.
There are three layers of silk organza, including the selvage, along the waist seam and ties, and I reinforced the waist end of the tie slit as well. The instructions are very kind and guided me through each stage of hand basting. I swapped the cotton twill suggested for an extra 2 layers (& selvage) of the silk organza. (Sourced from Sew Squirrel) - Hint found on Patricia's Note's from a High Road top post
There are three layers of silk organza (including the selvage) stabilising the waist & ties
To pair with this amazing desert storm skirt, I went for a simple top. A cropped tank from my bodice block, I wanted it boxy & structured to contrast with the silkiness of the skirt.



The circular bronze lace (hmm, feel free to let me know what else the metallic circles on the organza base could be described as) came from Rathdowne Remnants when the Collette Dinnegan silks arrived. I loved it on sight and despite it being horrid to sew, am very glad that it has been sewn and worn.
I underlined it with a crepe/satin in pink and wrestled at every seam with the thickness of the centre of the circles, and how they frayed away if cut. The neck & armholes are finished with hand sewn bias in the pink satin. To enable me to wear this with jeans in future, I didn't cut the bronze fabric short, rather, it's folded under and hand sewn to the underlining.

And where did I wear this amazing ensemble? Why to Frocktails in Sydney on Saturday night of course ;) Kat will post a round up of who was there and who we all wore (spoiler, I wore MaciNic) ;)

A huge Thank You to all of the wonderful ladies who came to Sydney - and to the Melbourne crew who hosted their very own Mocktails & linked in online.
Silliness with half of the awesome Canberra Crew: Jen TheStitcher&Gatherer & Myra 
Thanks Kat for the photos!! ;)

24 comments:

  1. Such a good use of this fabric and I love the contrast with the textural shell. Unique and very 'you' x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Helen ;) I can't wait to see how you use this fabric, it really is a bit special ;)

      Delete
  2. You giant spunk! This is such a rad skirt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and "no kick pleat"! Got to love a skirt with a full range of movement built in ;) Thanks Amanda for another fabulous meet up ;)

      Delete
  3. Love it. Perfect for frocktails.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paola, it was fun to wear, comfy & striking - perfect for Frocktails ;)

      Delete
  4. What an absolutely stunning outfit! The colours are beautiful, I love the different textures together, and it must have felt utterly sublime to wear. Kudos to you for outstanding pattern matching too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Dani ;) It was such a gorgeous piece of silk that I'm glad it could be used so dramatically - and it really was very lovely to wear. Now I just need some spring/summer parties to wear both items as separates to! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your outfit was so great - I loved the textured shell and that skirt - so much movement! Unbelieable. What a great night and brunch. So so glad to have met you x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kirsty, it was so lovely to meet you at last, and to have such great chats Sunday ;) - and I loved the illusion of your tweed, lets do this catch up thing again ;)

      Delete
  7. I love this combination- texture, style, color- love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anne, it all came together very nicely - phew! ;)

      Delete
  8. Vavavoom! I think this outfit was great - really suited you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mel, it was such a lovely weekend in Sydney ;) And I will definitely play with bias creations again, the comfort & slinkiness of the skirt was just divine! ;)

      Delete
  9. What an outfit, I can imagine the discy fabric being hard to sew. The skirt is fabulous, how wonderful to have suc showstopper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Louise - I might have cursed, a bit... ;) I am very glad that the silk behaved - the one I'm cutting out at the moment is not being nice at all! ;(

      Delete
  10. Great skirt! I have this pattern but have made only the top. That photo in Threads magazine got me thinking about print fabrics for the skirt; I'm glad to see how beautifully your version came out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your top! I've added in a link as well, as your top was where I first read to swap the cotton twill to silk organza - so Thank You! I can't wait to see you in a print skirt - and I'll add a plain top one day ;)

      Delete
  11. The more I see your sewing, the more I absolutely love your style. This skirt was such a real beauty!! I've been hunting on ebay for my own I like it that much. You looked amazing on the night : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mel, you are too, too lovely ;) If it's the pattern you love, I'm a tracer, so simply ask & I'll send it over ;) and, thank you ;)

      Delete
  12. This skirt is gorgeous. I also love the white top you are wearing in the top photo. Did you make this too? Where did you find the pattern?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ;) The top is RTW from Cue - I embellished with the beaded lace, however I didn't make it ;)

      Delete

We've love you to reply, comments make the dachshund & I smile ;)