Pages

Monday 20 April 2015

Sea Change Sea Change One Two Three !!!

I do love a top with interesting details, especially one that has fabulous drape from big pattern pieces, fits me without headaches, and where I can move about freely without readjusting it over the day.  Having bands to finish the hem and sleeves neatly and making it both woven and knit suitable ... I'm sold!

Introducing Lily Sage & Co's Sea Change Top.
The Sea Change top is loosely fitted, with wide kimono sleeves. The hem is designed to fall just below the natural waist for a modest, cropped look that will both complement and showcase high waist pants and skirts.

The top length can easily be lengthened through the top. The armbands and bottom hem band can also be altered in length for different looks.
Recommended fabrics:
Light to medium weight, drapey fabrics will be the most flattering choices for this top.
Options include knit fabrics like jersey. Cotton, viscose, and rayon are fibres that will all work well. Woven fabrics like silk satin, silk crepe de chine, and habutai will also suit this pattern.


I volunteered to Pattern Test this top for Lily Sage & Co, so a copy of the pattern and instructions were given to me in exchange for my feedback and I've since received a copy of the released pattern.
I used an Opp shop sourced stable knit for my tester version (my displeasure with it's intolerance to the iron was made on Instagram), and have since re-worked this to become the striped top. I'm still unhappy with the amount of poly in this mystery knit as it meant that I couldn't use fusible web to line up my stripes and assist with my twin needling, however it's had a surprising amount of wear and I will finish it off properly.


My second and much worn version is the yellow rayon that I dyed in the Arashi style. This top is a size M, widened to L at the waist. I lengthened this version and it's 49cm in total down the CF. The unaltered M is 45.2cm in length. My wardrobe doesn't have enough high waisted items (yet), so this length works really well with my low-mid rise jeans and pants. The neck binding is purchased cotton bias binding from stash, a pattern piece for self-bias is included.


My grey (third) version is an XS in bust size and length and an M in waist circumference. It also has narrower sleeve and hem bands as I was eking the top from a length of silk-cotton from Darn Cheap. The bias neck binding was cut from a piece of 'koala' grey/brown rayon and it behaved beautifully, I can see more rayon binding in my future. This version is to wear with my high rise black pants & it works very well.
Sea Change is a perfect pattern to showcase an amazing piece of fabric, it has a front and a back, and I found that if I had 2 pieces of 50cm in length and 80cm across, I could make a version with contrast sleeves and hem band. If I only had one piece, I could use a contrasting back - with straight seam lines, those silk remnants in my stash are looking like they've found a project.
Inside 3 Sea Change Tops
Lengthening at the body and adjusting the hem and sleeve bands was very simple. Instructions are clear, have diagrams and include useful reminders such as stay stitching necklines and stabilising shoulder seams. I found basting the long edges of the bands on my overlocker to be very efficient as they were then neat and I could use that row of stitching to line up my seam line as I attached them to the garment body.

From Saturday's post where I talk about dyeing the yellow version:
I adore the sleeves, both on their own with their perfect breeziness for summer, and as a layering piece over a fitted top for Melbourne's autumn. In regard to questions of potential visible side boobage, I've found that the volume of drapey fabric collapses onto itself in normal wear, so I feel quite secure. I do love these sleeves.
SeaChange is available now at Lily Sage & Co, with a discount this week

Better learn balance. Balance is key. Balance good, karate good. Everything good. Balance bad, better pack up, go home.
Oh those magnificent sleeves, how I adore them!

32 comments:

  1. The dyed yellow one is spectacular! It looks great with jeans. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Masha, it's such a fun top to wear too! ;)

      Delete
  2. That grey one! The print on that, just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay!!! I was so happy that it turned out just like I pictured ;) ... now I just need to add more high waisted bottoms so I can make more at the cropped length ;)

      Delete
  3. Oh my word the grey one is fantastic, I really like that short length. It's always great to find a pattern that utilises small pieces of fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is wonderful to be able to use smaller pieces without breaking them up, or wrestling with seams on slippery fabrics ;) Thanks Louise.

      Delete
  4. Wow, these are fabulous! I agree, this looks like the perfect top to showcase a beautiful print. Great job on selecting some stunning fabrics to pair with this pattern. They all look perfect for summer. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Carolyn, Debbie's released such a fabulous pattern, it does all the work ;)

      Delete
  5. Wow, wow, wow. Seriously.... you are on fire! The shibori is so perfect for this top and the feathers... oh my God, favourite make of yours EVER.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay!! Thanks Jenny! Really? cool! Am very glad it worked ;)
      We'll have to catch up in a warm venue & I'll wear it ;)

      Delete
  6. Holy monkey hats, Nic! That grey one is STUNNING!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whooop!!! And if I don't make anything else, I can wear it with a maxiskirt to Frocktails ;)

      Delete
  7. Love! Love! Love! What more can I say. They are all gorgeous. I need this top asap!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, yes you do, it will look amazing on you! ;)

      Delete
  8. Great fabric choices for these!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That grey one is AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emma ;) I'd been searching for a pattern to showcase the fabric for a while - I love the feathers & silk-cottonnyness of it ;)

      Delete
  10. Wow - the silk-cotton fabric is stunningly gorgeous! It looks great on you and you chose a great background for that photo. All three look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chuleenan, and I love the street art in my city, I'd been hoping to use the zebra's for a while. There are some very talented artists out there!

      Delete
  11. Your third shirt makes me think of kookaburra feathers. I love the effect!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my gosh, I'm so far behind on my blog reading I fear I'll never catch up. I'm so slow seeing this! And they are so fab. I particularly adore the feather one. It looks stunning on you! Nice mutiples too by the way. Nice to find a pattern that works and really make the most of it :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jillian. I do love it when a pattern 'just works' and I look at my stash & see so many options! Now for some more high waisted bottoms ... ;)

      Delete
    2. Not as slow as me. Only just read this blog and the sea change is now high on my summer sewing list. You look stunning. xx

      Delete
  13. Hi I have just found your blog through SewBusyLizzie and I have to say these tops are amazing! Particularly the grey print one. Stunning! I wasn't keen on that pattern when I first saw it but these have changed my mind!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tamsin! It's a delightfully easy to sew/adjust/wear & layer pattern. I'm wearing my grey feathers over a 3/4 sleeve boatneck top today as it's getting cool here & I love that I can do that without getting the layers caught on each other. I do look forward to seeing your version/s ;)

      Delete
  14. You do find some awesome fabrics, you know - and you also place them so well! Love the grey top. I also love seeing the progression of the tops all laid on top of each other! The final proportions look lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mel. It's got lovely lines and I'm rather glad the feathers turned out nicely IRL & not just in my imagination ;)
      I'm currently crushing on Anna's merino version, spots AND stripes!

      Delete
  15. Oooh, all so beautiful! I really love the feathery one too, but the gold/red fabric you dyed yourself is just stunning. What a glorious result! You are so clever :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. You're right, this is a great pattern for showcasing a special piece of fabric. Your third version of the top in the special silk cotton is just stunning - and I can also imagine it floating over a long, simple sleeveless dress.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, these are STUNNING! That feather print is amazing. You look fabulous in them!

    ReplyDelete

We've love you to reply, comments make the dachshund & I smile ;)