Pages

Sunday 12 July 2015

A Canberra Capsule Wardrobe #CBRFrocktails

I recently flew up to Canberra for the inaugural #CBRFrocktails and after a few false starts landing through the fog, was warmly greeted by the local sewing spoolettes, coffee and a sunny sky. 
Seven items proudly made by me ;)
Most importantly, what did I wear! Well, I took great delight in packing a small case with a co-ordinated selection of favourite RTW and new and favourite me-made items. Basing my daytime outfit around a pair of dark denim mid-waisted boot cuts (I found my 'perfect' RTW jean at the 11th hour before sewing a pair), I simply required a top each day to go under my Named Patterns' Saunio +/- layered with my teal Swoon cardigan. Two perfect workhorses that, conveniently layer beautifully together.



I tried to recreate the magic of my snuggly teal Swoon with a purple merino, however I can report back that only having 1.5m isn't enough - I have a cropped version that fits, but isn't as fabulous. I managed to fail to sew the sleeves incorrectly, again, there seems to be an extra right angle of fabric at the back shoulder that I can't place. It didn't make it into the capsule wardrobe.



Oh, you mean for Frocktails, the gala event of Saturday night?! What did I wear to meet a room of beautiful and talented seamstresses?
Following from my personal success at Sydney's Frocktails last year, I again went with an outfit based around a silk maxi skirt.
Catching up over bubbles was perfect.
I've loved this purple, grey, black and white geomentric print since I spotted, and nabbed, it at Rathdowne Remnants a few years ago. I had 3m, and used every last scrap.
What maxi skirt would give no spare change from 3m? Well, the distinctive swooshy 7 panels of the skirt and the angular pieces of the yoke might give the game away; yes this is Sewaholic's glorious Gabriola.
I have always adored the glamour of the Gabriola, but feared she & I were not to be, she's for curvy pear and hourglass girls and well, I'm a rectangle. I shouldn't have ignored her for so long, the sewalong over on the Sewaholic site had the answer all along, how to grade from a  size 12 waist to a size 8 hip - thank you.
In hindsight, I wish I'd fussy cut the yoke pieces first and had the horizontal lies flowing vertically, but I was focussed on getting the maxi length from my yardage and the yokes came second. I didn't shorten it, however I omitted the straight waistband (very frumpy on me) and this pulled it higher onto my natural waist.  In doing this I managed to remove an inch at CB, and a few cm from the side seams, so maybe I could have made a different size, although I'll consider a contoured waistband as well. My waist edge is enclosed and stabilised with black ribbon.
The black ribbon before the excess was trimmed
The lovely Helen brought her vintage "Helen Mirren" over to give me a neat narrow hem and I admit that I finished hand stitching the lining to the yoke while in Canberra.
I do wish the Gabriola sewalong had gone into a tad more detail about changing the waistband, using an invisible zipper, french seams and adding lining. I stabilised the yokes as I remembered reading many reports of the bias seams stretching, there's not a right angle to be seen!
It was SO good to chat to these lovely ladies again
To pair with my geometric skirt, I tried many silhouettes. In the end I settled on a classic, my third V1250, made with a slightly shiny grey/silver knit from Darn Cheap Fabrics, it's divine to wear and such a fabulous drape, look, I even have cleavage! ;)
Accessorised in hand crafted silver
 - necklace made by my talented DH
I also made a zipped pouch in silver pleather from Spotlight, I'm not quite brave enough to cut into a hide for a proper leather clutch yet, although I've been taking notes from Jillian and Anna as theirs are very covetable!
It's sized to fit my 10"tablet and to then fold over, fully lined and based on this tutorial.

For our Sunday brunch, I 'whipped up' another DrapeDrape2 #4 Asymmetrical draped top, yes the same top I wore as part of OneWeekOnePattern, it was my 5th version.
Two (Four) way stretch definitely helps with the comfort and fit, and with only 2 seams, a neckband and folded sleeve & hems, it took no time at all. This gorgeous navy viscose/spandex knit was snaffled for me by Lara, from Darn Cheap Fabrics, and it's really quite divine.
And with all of the craze about the Sydney jacket, I simply had to steal Jillian's from her back, not unlike what I did with Helen's, hmm, I see a trend here ;)
and finally:
Amanda is The Best Photobomber
Thank you SO much for a fabulous weekend Canberra!


16 comments:

  1. Love all your outfits here, and honoured to help in the finishing touches of such a beautiful skirt xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adore your handmade wardrobe! That maxi skirt was absolutely divine. So when's the Sydney Jacket coming??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting me steal yours in the Canberra sun! It might become a reality to snuggle into for the Melbourne Frocktails, especially if I go the mini skirt option! It was so lovely to spend the weekend with you ;)

      Delete
  3. Canberra was honored to have you here! Also so fun to hang out with you xx You looked absolutely stunning and what a fantastic Maci Made Canberra capsule!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such a wonderful weekend. Kudos to you all ;)
      and Thank you x

      Delete
  4. Oooh, what fun, how much I wish I could have joined you all. You made some really lovely things, each piece works really well with each other piece. I have to agree; yes, the red jacket tops it off so well, you need one too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'd love to have you, maybe for a 2016 version ;) And thank you, I had a lovely time planing out a travel wardrobe, there does seem as if there might be room in it for a red Sydney ;)

      Delete
  5. You look great and I can tell a good time was had!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Twas fabulous my dear - one day we'll all get together! ;)

      Delete
  6. Hot damn, you are such a babe! Love your capsule wardrobe so much!!! And thank you so much for coming to visit CBR way- I love catching up :D :D :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always love seeing you! Can't wait til the next instalment Raddest of Radness Lady!! ;)

      Delete
  7. Oh my gosh, how fun. Beautiful wardrobe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elise! It's SO much fun, and if I plan my interstate travel well, there's a Frocktails in almost every state now ;)

      Delete
  8. Definitely a winning combination for canberra frocktails, Nic!! The gabriola is so wonderfully swishy - love it paired with the grey cowl neck top (go the 1250). And your bracelet!!! What a talented hubby!! I love it!!
    Very cool how so many of you made clutches to take along :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mel ;) It was wonderful to be surrounded by so much talent, and to be able to chat at length with everyone, it really was a wonderful weekend.

      Delete

We've love you to reply, comments make the dachshund & I smile ;)