Pages

Sunday 8 May 2016

SEWN: Hannah by the seaside

Victory Patterns' Hannah Dress
I've really enjoyed being able to wear my latest summer dress so late into Autumn. Today was another perfect example, so we meandered down to Williamstown, chatted to some divers and fishermen and had a lovely lunch - and jumped at the chance to take a few snaps of Hannah, even though we only had a phone - I'm very appreciative that I have a very talented photographer.

Hannah, of course, is Victory Patterns' newest dress and 'not a shift dress, shift dress'*
*yes, I am possibly the only one who makes such a strange comparison between straight +/- A-line shift dresses that I adore, but don't adore me, and ones with amazing seamlines and non-shift dress details. It reminds me of the Dandelion dress that I made twice & loved to death.


Hannah is described as an intermediate pattern, and that's an accurate statement. Precision marking and sewing isn't my strongest point and there are 4 darts, and those fabulous angled side seams that flow into the generous pockets - ohh how I adore the proper sized pockets! 
Other makes: 
Corrine Appleby in a lovely herbaceous sketch print - definitely my kind of a floral. I can relate to her comments on precision sewing, it's not my strongest skill either and basting might be a very good idea. Her Hannah looks lovely in 2 fabrics, I especially love the exposed binding.

And of course the fabulous Christy of CleverTinker who whipped up a gorgeous black rayon-linen-poly version the second Hannah was released, and swayed the world towards adding Hannah to our 'must make' queues ;) As always it's gorgeously styled and she sealed the 'sew Hannah now' deal for me.
All of our dresses are appropriately short. Mine feels fine while I'm walking, I think it's the faced shirt hem that holds it in place. Sitting however is another story, it's definitely a 'napkin on lap' length.
For the record, I'm  5'5" 165cm and made the size 37, a 37 5/8" or 95.6cm length, measured (by the pattern info) from shoulder at base of neck along the front.

My bust measurement is size 6, (with hips of an 8), however I'm glad I didn't try to grade between sizes and just made the 8, as the front bodice is tight across my forward shoulders. I'll do my usual adjustments and cut away at the front armscye next time.

And the elephant in the room - yes, I stuffed up the concealed front placket. The instructions are detailed, full of images and take up 3.5 pages. I clearly didn't fold accurately enough as the front looked great, but the back was off by the time I reached column 9 of 11.
I had forgotten how wonderful Victory Pattern's instruction are, despite my placket troubles, they are illustrated, detailed and nicely laid out. The pattern booklet is 17 pages long.

I love the faced hem, I love the generous pockets and I love the side seamlines and the back detail.

I didn't have any difficulties sewing through the 6+ layers at the shoulders as my fabric was lightweight. I did have difficulties with seam finishing as my fabric frayed easily. All seams which are enclosed, aren't finished separately. This would be ok with almost any other fabric. Mine has wriggled and shifted and I've cursed as it threatens to fray through the seams. It's a slubby linen look poly blend in the most divine true blue (according to Dulux), from Kinki Gerlinki in Brunswick.


I'm now plotting how best to make a version suitable for winter layering - a light wool blend with a slip underneath I think ....



12 comments:

  1. Ahhh I love it!!
    Glad you found it short. My next will be lengthened, just trying to work through the patterns I have cut before cutting another.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really wasn't expecting it to be so short, or so fitted, that'll teach me not to measure the pattern against me first! ;) It has been manageable, but I'm still in end of summer beach mode, so I've only really noticed the length when I sit down - elevated chairs have been... interesting... ;) I did like your tunic styling.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Anna ;) It's fun to wear, and I have been reaching for it every day the sun comes out! I'm not sure if it's the pockets or the newness, but it's been on high rotation.

      Delete
  3. This dress looks fabulous on you! Love it from the back! I agree with you about the length - fine whilst walking around but a bit dodgy when you sit down. Thanks for featuring me and sending some traffic to my little blog :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I discovered your blog while researching Hannah! ;) I had to chuckle at your husband's comments, mine has made me a wooden swift and kindly took in progress shots so we could post it here... eventually.... ;)

      Delete
  4. This is so fabulously wonderful. Those scoop hems always catch me out in the short department. My Alder shirtdress feels okay when viewed front on, but from the side or sitting it's almost indecently short. I've almost retired it... but not quite. I think this would be fab in a wool layered over tights and boots. Do it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm a bit fond of it, so I've forgiven the length - and I am still in summer 'legs exposed' mode, I'm not sure if I'd be as relaxed if I'd made it at the start of spring ;) I wonder if we can bring extended hems back, I'm thinking of a potentially colour-blocked, faced, hem extension following the hem line of our too short dresses... hmm...
      I've got a bit of winter warmth sewing up now, but I think I have found the wool-blend in stash that will work, watch this space....

      Delete
  5. Ooh I just love this dress - love that particular blue on you, and love the seamlines and folds of the dress so much! I have never sewn a Victory patterns pattern but maybe this should be The One.. And your photos are divine too - I want to go to the beach now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gabrielle! I spotted the blue fabric in the remnant bin at Kinki Gerlinki & simply had to take it home! One of those perfect pattern and fabric matches, it was even the right 3m length, clearly meant to be ;)
      Hannah is my second Victory Pattern, I've also made the Nicola and I might (ahem), own several others.... They're that bit different in style details and Kristiann's instructions are lovely.
      And I miss the beach already! Will have to head back soon ;)

      Delete
  6. What a scrumptious dress. Hope you can find ways to wear this going into the cooler weather as it deserves to be worn lots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Louise. I'd love to hope that we might sneak in another couple of summery days, but.... ;) I can layer my Nicola well, so hopefully Hannah will get some wear before it's time for summer dresses again. - or I could plot a holiday north... I like warmth ;)

      Delete

We've love you to reply, comments make the dachshund & I smile ;)