Pages

Friday 2 September 2016

Couturier sewing class: Velvet Top

My newest sewing book acquisition is the Japanese language Couturier Sewing Class, one of the Heart Warming Life Series publications. It was released in October 2015 and I've had it in an eBay cart ever since.
I love the green wide legged pants, the gorgeous mustard raglan dress as made in black by Justine (on Bombazine) recently, the draped cardigan and the sweet white top/green ruffled dress. My absolute favourite however, is the top on the cover, especially it's image in wool inside.
There's a thorough review on the Japan Sewing Books blog - it's what swayed my decision that I simply must have the book!
So that's what I made first ;)
it has a faced neckline and partially interfaced waist
I was shopping with Helen and bought 2m of a stable black velvet for this very top, before the book arrived. I am very pleased to report that this top is exactly as I envisioned, was a pleasure to sew and has had lots of wear already - don't you love it when that happens!!
Black Velvet: so lovely to wear, so hard to photograph
This is the LL, largest, size made without alteration.
For body measurements: height 160-165cm, bust 94, waist 74, hips 98cm. The L would have been fine.

The round neckline is the front, it's shown reversible above, however when I wear the V to the front, it sits a little awkwardly.
and besides, the V at the back is cute and shows the back of the neck ;)
It is a fabric hog. I bought my very first piece of nani-iro double gauze from Miss Matatabi with this book and regrettably, it won't fit on the 1.5m (x106cm) piece without changes.
I will be making a summery version, it's too lovely a pattern not to!
I've been wearing it a lot, on date days with my beau, out to see Curtains at the Art Centre and again to the NGV International for the unpacking of their new acquisitions, all fabulous and fun times!
And my emerald accessory - it's a hand knitted clutch in super bulky acrylic - very hard on the wrists, but it's all worth it for fashion? no? ;)
Knitted on 8mm needles, black 4mm for comparison




SaveSave

11 comments:

  1. Adore! This pattern has been on my to sew list for a long time. A linen version for spring?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's calling to you to make it! It's such a gorgeous design, yes, a soft linen for spring, and I might just have to make a double gauze version, a perfect excuse to buy a less directional print ;)

      Delete
  2. Swoon, so dramatic. looks fabulous

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Louise, it feels gloriously fabulous to wear as well - one of those comfy tops that doesn't need adjusting over the day and lifts whatever I wear with it ;)

      Delete
  3. Such a great top! I am also crushing on this book, especially that mustard dress. I loved Justine's version too. I love a good over top for winter and trans-season and this certainly looks the goods! And that clutch is the icing on the cake ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That mustard dress has your name all over it!! I've traced it out at top length, I might even see if the waist finish on this top transfers across to it with a less structured fabric (than the red one in the book).
      The clutch was the complete opposite to the knitting I enjoy most, but I like the result ;)

      Delete
  4. Oh wow, what a fabulous shape - I adore it, and the VELVET makes it even better! That book looks like an absolute cracker - so many interesting garments in there! I wonder if kinokuniya has a copy...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Velvet makes everything better!! This book is a winner - you know that feeling when you adore the images, and then they actually sew up well - it's so good! Go & track thee down a copy ;)

      Delete
  5. Oh, wow! This is so lovely in the velvet! What a gorgeous make, Nic :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amanda. I wore it again today for Fathers Day lunch, still love it ;) I do love making something that I reach for all of the time, a definite win!

      Delete

We've love you to reply, comments make the dachshund & I smile ;)